Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Ever have one of THOSE days???

Ok, so today as Alexander (The kid book) would have said was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day! 

It all began with a new test for the lab rat of the family.  Last week I got a not from my dr. saying my cortisol level wasn't normal.  So, she ordered an ACTH Stimulation Test.  It sounded terrifying so I went straight to google.  :-)  Everything I read said it was no big deal just some blood work at different intervals.  Yet still, when I woke up this morning, I was filled with fear.  I got ready and drove anxiously to the Nebraska Med Center.  I checked in at sat in the lobby scared.  I texted my sister and she returned encouragement as usual.

Finally, I was called in.  The nurse came in and explained to me the process.  Start an IV.  Draw blood from the IV.  Give a medication in the IV.  30 minutes later draw blood from IV.  and 30 minutes later draw blood again.  EASY PEASY.  But, of course, this is me.  She got the IV in on her first try.  But, it wouldn't return blood.  So, she and the other nurse decided they would just draw blood from other veins.  NOT EASY PEASY.  I think I set a record  10 pokes in an hour and a half for 3 blood draws total.  Needless to say, it wore me out and I felt kind of lightheaded.

After that, I made my way to my car.  As soon as I get to my car, my pump sensor says....Sensor connection failed.  This means it had died/ran out of battery.  So, I have to take the sensor out and put it on it's charger.  No big deal but just ANOTHER thing to add to my day.

Next, I get to work parking on the 7th floor of my 8 floor parking garage. 

I arrive into work and test my blood sugar, it's 539.  That's odd.  So I plug it into my pump and give myself insulin accordingly. 

About 15 minutes later, I smell insulin, a very distinct smell if you've ever smelled it.  I look down, there's a ginormous wet spot where my pump site is.  It had gone bad.  SIGH!  So, I change it out and move on.

NOW.......my back starts to ache that I'm almost in tears.  I realize that this is a side effect they mentioned during the test this morning.  Go figure.....I GET IT!

On this day, at 1:30 PM......I declare a truce with my life.  I'm done fighting it.  Calgon take me away!  lol

But, as I was texting my sister this morning, I don't have cancer.  I have no impending death sentence.  I just have complications of life that are manageable.  Thank God for the blessings I do have and for the challenges he has given me to help me to grow and learn.

Until next time......Take care and God Bless!

1 comment:

DiAnna said...

One is bad luck...so many tough obstacles feels impossible. You did such a good job managing a tough day. I'm proud of you. Love you
Di

Digging out of the Dark with Christ

Happy 2024! Many leap into the year with joy as a new beginning has come. But for me, I have been in the depths of a deep depressive Bipol...