Friday, April 20, 2018

Continuing my journey

When taking a journey, we may run across detours due to construction.  Sometimes, these detours are frustrating and sometimes you can think of it as the "scenic route"  But, to get to the right path, we must take the detour.

As you all know, I have been on a long time journey to a healthier me.  This has been smooth sailing....NOT!  It has involved many ups and downs.  I've fallen off the wagon and taken many detours.  Some of these detours have been self-made, some are due to other situations.  But, all I believe God has place in my path to realize and test my determination and commitment

I recently read a book called Girl, Wash your Face.  It was a very interesting read by a successful author.  Throughout the book, she covered some lies that she learned to overcome about herself.  I the introduction to the book, she says, "Your life is supposed to be a journey from one unique place to another; it's not supposed to be a merry-go-round that brings you back to the same spot over and over again.  So, how do you jump off the merry-go-round.  I believe that is by letting go and letting God handle the issues we run into.

This is a struggle for a control freak like me.  I like to think I can fix everything myself.  But, with my confidence in my faith, I know this isn't the truth.  Awhile ago, a counselor of mine talked about life being a conveyer belt.  While we can't stop the belt from turning, we can control the things that are on it.  She said.....put your worries/lies etc in a paper sack once you have worked through them.  That conveyer belt goes to God.  Some of that icky stuff may return to you on the belt.  But, there is good news.  When we open that Stinky bag full of doubt, we can say, not this time.  I've already been down this path.  Eventually, that bag won't return.

There is also another great quote from the book about growth.  It says.....A caterpillar is awesome, but if the caterpillar stopped there--if she just decided that good is good enough--we would miss out on the beautiful creature she would become.  Through that statement, I learned.  If we give up, if we say we can't do anymore growth, we miss out on the beautiful person we can become both inside and out.

People, without growth, we are stunted and stuck in our own chaos.  We have to continue down the path, continue our journey.

On this journey to a healthier me, I have often given up, taken no for an answer, accepted my failure and decided to stop right there.  But, recently through some books, I'm learning that good enough isn't good enough.  I can succeed and push on.  I have to in order to continue on the path. 

This week, I began a new lifestyle change around eating.  My sister has told me, make on change per day.  Don't try to jump and fix everything at one time.  So, journey day by day.  No matter how difficult it is to slow down and recognize the successes.  Change can only happen in this matter.

So, today, I packed healthier choices.  And today, I jumped back in the wagon and decided to continue my ride.  So, take care of yourself step by step and depend on others for additional support.  We got this!

Take care and God Bless

2 comments:

Mom & Pop said...

Absolutely, you have this. It is always so hard to start anything new. There is the self doubt. I think we all are guilty of that sometimes if not all the time. You have come so far in your process that any small set back is a big one for you. Look what you have conquered, having Type I diabetes, learning to live with this, learning an entire new life style, learning how new pumps work in the process and still come out ahead.

Life takes so many unexpected turns that it is hard for any person to navigate through all of them even people who don't have the illnesses that you have.

You have got this and will continue to get it.
You are an amazing person who has been and done lots of things but most importantly you are a mother, wife, daughter, friend, employee, sister and no matter what, you are going to do just fine.

Love,
Mom & Dad

DiAnna said...

Been a tough week for you but a pound down is nothing to complain about :) it shows even in tough times you can make a positive step forward. Keep chugging away and trying to do best every step and when you don't, learn to shake it off, forgive yourself quickly and move on. Love you and always so proud of you!

DiAnna

Digging out of the Dark with Christ

Happy 2024! Many leap into the year with joy as a new beginning has come. But for me, I have been in the depths of a deep depressive Bipol...