Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Bipolar Type 2-----We are not alone

So this morning, I was sitting in the lobby at a hospital watching the today show feeling sorry for myself.  Why me again?  Then, a story came on TV, Mariah Carey coming out about her battle with Bipolar Depression.  As someone who lives with this diagnosis daily, sometimes hourly, it's easy to feel alone.  It's easy to sit and think why does so and so have it so easy? 

In the past, there has been such a stigma around any mental health diagnosis.....well there's goes their life, they can't function, they need to be institutionalized.  Well, none of this has been true for me.  Yes, I struggle sometimes to function in the capacity I would like to.  But no, I don't need to be strapped down to a hospital bed.

In more recent days, people are speaking out about their diagnoses of anxiety, depression, bipolar, etc.  These people have been celebrities in the spotlight.  In life, I have found myself putting myself through a series of pedestal comparisons with others.  Playing the pity party of why is it ONLY happening to me. 

Well, reality is, we only know what we are seen or told.  We aren't in other's lives.  See, I have people on pedestals surrounding me.  And while it may sound mean, I love it when the lever on their pedestal makes them sink just a little closer to me. 

I have a good friend, Lindi, who has diabetes.  She became my mentor through JDRF upon diagnosis.  I always thought, man.....how does she keep everything so stable in her life.  I just can't stay steady like that.  Then came dinner at Chili's in Spring of 2017.  We both sat down and caught up.  Then dinner came and we tested.  Ahh....125 on a night out with my "perfect" diabetic friend, what a relief.  It was HER turn.  315.  WHAT???  Her, how could it be?  Suddenly, I felt like it wasn't just me.  It was everyone.  That made me feel so happy and sure that I can do this!

In relationships, parenting & marriage, I have placed others on pedestals.  If only I had it together like blah and blah.  While I haven't had an aha moment I have had several conversations with those I love and care about.  I'm not alone here either.  Everyone has struggles and roller coasters to ride.  We just have to build a support system around us to assist.

In weight, this is a very difficult place filled with pedestals as well.  The person next to you at the gym.  The person in front of you in line at Weight Watchers.  Friends.  Family.  You name it, they ALL have it together and YOU don't.  Then I talked to a friend of mine who I would consider in no need to be poor in self image.  She too had some things that she was trying to work on.  See that person in the gym next to you, they are in your shoes, they just may not look like you in every way

Now, to bipolar.  I don't know if I've had pedestals around this as much as I've put a sense of being very alone in my illness.  I don't know many people that are bipolar.  So, it's easy to think why me?  But, in recent years, more and more people are coming out with their stories of diagnosis.   Many are celebrities.  Of course, they have millions of dollars and fame.  What could be wrong in their lives.  P.S. People.....they're human. 

I recently read a book called In the Middle of the Mess by Sheila Walsh.  She is a renowned Christian speaker and author.  She stands up in from of thousands professing her faith and supporting others in their journeys of life.  In this book, she talks about her battle with depression.  How she would spend all day talking to others about their battles and not be fighting her own.  She was actually even hospitalized for her depression. 

See people, we have to understand, that whatever your battle may be, whatever your journey is looking like, we aren't alone.  We may be intimately close to someone with the same issues or we may only know them from afar.  But the fact is, we KNOW them.  We must band together as people on journeys.  We may not understand the ins and outs of their journeys, but that's ok. Sometimes, we just need to know it's going to be ok.  Be that person for someone....don't put it off......reach out.  You never know how one kind word could save someone's life or blossom into a beautiful friendship.

Until Next Time.....take care and God Bless!

2 comments:

DiAnna said...

So true. Like you and I always say don't worry about that person in the gym judging you because they are worrying about themselves. I like that you have gotten more logical about the fact that everyone is flawed or working on something. Being bipolar is a disease like anything else. You are managing it as well as anyone and I'm always so proud of you for it.

Hang in there
Di

Mom & Pop said...

You have so got this. You are so much stronger than you give yourself credit for. I don't know what you feel like but you know we are there for you. I know it is always hard to not focus on the negative. You have had more than your share of negative things for anyone. Just keep your chin up and make each day a positive day. We are so proud of you and are behind you each and every day,
We love you,

Mom & Pop

Digging out of the Dark with Christ

Happy 2024! Many leap into the year with joy as a new beginning has come. But for me, I have been in the depths of a deep depressive Bipol...