Thursday, September 10, 2015

Why does it matter what I believe?

Short week this week so I am late getting this post.  This labor day weekend was a good one.  We didn't do much as Mackenzie is out with a hurt knee.  Cody was at Mahoney State Park with a friend of his fishing, riding horses, and just having fun. 

I did get to spend Monday scrapping.  YAY!  I invited over Jen and a friend from my old church Connie.  As I continue to grow in my journey of faith, I realize how nice it is to be blessed with Christian friends.  While we were together to scrapbook, it became a time of fellowship.  A time to reflect on our belief system.  In fact, we decided we are going to form a small group Bible study out of my house based on the 40 days of purpose that I have been reading.  We are planning on meeting at least once a month but hopefully twice.  Amazing how God works and brings us together. 

We were talking about Jen and I's friendship that we have known each other since high school.  As adults, we have been able to learn about each other in many different facets.  We have been going through the Total Money Makeover with Dave Ramsey (Still a work in progress)  We have scrapbooked about our trips, our families, and our friends.  And now, we are going to begin another new journey as we learn God's purpose.  I can't wait to begin and bond even more with Jen and Connie than I already have. 

In the meantime, here is a summary of my lesson today about our worldview.....the beliefs we build our life on

There are 7 popular worldviews.  They are as follows:
Materialism-The one with the most toys wins
Individualism-I've got to think of me first
Hedonism-I do whatever feels good
Pragmatism-I do whatever works for me
Naturalism-God doesn't exist or matter
Humanism-You are your own God
Theism-God made me for his purposes.  Theology, Study of God

Why does it matter what I believe?  Proverbs 4:23 says Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts.  How powerful and true is that.  Our minds and beliefs determine our behaviors.  Often times, we go with the flow or our feelings.  Feelings are driven by the thoughts we have.  So, how do we build this thinking muscle?  By working it out just like we do our other physical attributes.  To strengthen your worldview, there are 4 things we need to do:  Learn what is true, Discern what is false, Turn from the world to the word, and Concern yourself with God's agenda.  

So, which view are you going to follow?  The empty views or those that are supported by God's Word?  For me, I shall dive into the Word and find continue to find out what the Lord has in store for me through learning, faithfulness, and commitment.

Until next time, God Bless and Take Care.

1 comment:

DiAnna said...

I like that one hobby leads to friendship and a connection by faith. Fellowship, after all, takes many forms. Love this!

Digging out of the Dark with Christ

Happy 2024! Many leap into the year with joy as a new beginning has come. But for me, I have been in the depths of a deep depressive Bipol...